JOE SIMON BIOGRAPHY — Enjoy his autobiography: DON’T GIVE UP (You Can Make It If You Try) YOU CAN WIN —
The velvety voice filled the venue as thousands of ebullient fans inhaled every note from the lips of Grammy award-winning vocalist and producer Joe Simon. As he finished three of his Billboard #1 tunes, “The Chokin’ Kind,” “Power Of Love,” and “Get Down, Get Down (Get On The Floor),” the crowd roared(!) in appreciation. One of the most memorable of his meg-hits is “Drowning In The Sea Of Love,” a bluesy and emotively infectious track that from which classic aficionados never tire (check out his autobiography on Amazon and other digital outlets. As a dominant performing artist of the 20-21st Centuries, his destiny was determined when he was a teen living in Simmesport, Louisiana, testing his singing chops. In the 1950s, his family relocated to California’s culturally rich Bay Area, and he spent most of his time in San Francisco, Oakland, and Richmond, blending his God-given gifts with local singers such as gospel quartet The Golden West Singers. He began singing R&B music, often as a solo artist on his own. For little wages, he would sing while struggling to make ends meet. Times were so tough that he took up residence in a local chicken coop, which became his domicile for a couple of years until he could save enough to rent a decent flat. “Believe it or not,” he said, “I got used to it.” But he never gave up his longing to spread his musical gifts to the world. During the lean years, something life-altering occurred: He met Hush Recordings’ Gary Thompson who recorded the young singer’s first hit, “My Adorable One,” a serene ballad Joe produced and delivered masterfully. The song was so successful it launched him to the world-famous Apollo Theater in New York City. From there he appeared on the top entertainment television shows, including The Tonight Show, Soul Train, and even Porter Wagonner’s country music show. As a tribute to the quality of Joe’s delivery, countless popular artists have shown his influence in their renderings. Soulful Joss Stone covered “The Chokin’ Kind” on her 2003 album, The Soul Sessions. And a number of his songs have been sampled by other artists, including Outkast, who chose “Before the Night is Over” in their hit “So Fresh, So Clean,” Lil’ Kim’s delivered “It Be’s That Way Sometimes” in “Magic Stick”, featuring 50 Cent, and Memphis Bleek sampled “Trace Your Love” for the track “Alright” on his 2005 534 album. As a versatile artist, he can sing any genre, including opera! He continued to sprinkle his career with a plethora of additional hit songs until, as he said: “I found my calling in life.” He started his ministries and today serves as a bishop.
The following are some high points during the career of Joe Simon:
• BEGAN SINGING CAREER WITH STREET-CORNER GOSPEL HARMONIZING
• FIRST RECORDINGS WITH THE GOLDEN TONES FOR HUSH RECORDS IN 1960
• 1964 RECORDS “MY ADORABLE ONE” WHICH WAS LEASED TO VEEJAY RECORDS, SIGNIFICANT AIRPLAY BREAKS CAREER AND LANDS BOOKINGS AT THE APOLLO THEATER IN NEW YORK CITY
• FIRST R&B CHART RECORD “LET’S DO IT OVER” FOR VEEJAY RECORDS IN 1965
• LINKS CAREER WITH LEGENDARY WLAC RADIO PERSONALITY, JOHN R. AND SIGNS WITH RICHBOURG’S NEW LABEL, SOUND STAGE SEVEN, IN 1966
• PRODUCES MAJOR HIT RECORDINGS FOR SOUND STAGE SEVEN INCLUDING: “THE CHOKIN KIND”, “YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON”, “NINE POUND STEEL”, “MY SPECIAL PRAYER”, “TEENAGER’S PRAYER”, “MOONWALK”, “FARTHER ON DOWN THE ROAD”, “YOUR LOVE”, “MISTY BLUE” AND “NO SAD SONGS”
• SIMON IS OFFERED THE OPPORTUNITY TO MANAGE, PRODUCE AND RECORD THE
JACKSON FIVE WHICH HE TURNS DOWN
• 1970 LEAVES SOUND STAGE SEVEN AND MOVES TO SPRING RECORDS WHERE HE
BECOMES THEIR LEADING ARTIST AND PARTIAL LABEL OWNER.
• 1971 RECORDS ALBUM “DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE,” WHICH INCLUDED THE 2
CAREER DEFINING HITS, THE TITLE TRACK AND “POWER OF LOVE.”
• OVER THE NEXT 11 YEARS PRODUCES A LONG STRING OF R&B AND CROSSOVER HIT
RECORDINGS INCLUDING: “YOUR TIME TO CRY,” “THEME FROM CLEOPATRA JONES”, “I
NEED YOU, YOU NEED ME.” “MUSIC IN MY BONES” AND “TROUBLE IN MY HOME.”
• DISPLAYS THE OBVIOUS INFLUENCE OF COUNTRY MUSIC ON HIS CAREER BY RECORDING
A PURE COUNTRY ALBUM ENTITLED “SOUNDS OF SIMON/SIMON COUNTRY.”
• 1980 BECOMES LABEL OWNER AND PRINCIPLE ARTIST OF POSSE RECORDS.
• LEAVES SECULAR MUSIC FIELD FOR GOOD IN MID 1980’S
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS AND AWARDS.
• 1970 GRAMMY AWARD FOR THE NUMBER ONE HIT “CHOKIN KIND.”
• 1971 CERTIFIED GOLD FOR THE ALBUM “DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE.”
• 1971 GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR THE ALBUM “THE POWER OF LOVE”
• 1972 SECOND #1 HIT ON THE R&B CHARTS, CERTIFIED GOLD FOR THE SINGLE “POWER
• 1973 GRAMMY NOMINATED FOR BEST RHYTHM & BLUES PERFORMANCE – MALE.
FOR “DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE,”
• 1973 COMPOSES AND PERFORMS THE SCORE FOR THE MOVIE “CLEOPATRA JONES,”
ONE OF THE TOP GROSSING FILMS IN WARNER BROTHERS HISTORY; THE “THEME FROM
CLEOPATRA JONES” WOULD RISE TO PROMINENCE AGAIN WITH THE INCLUSION AS A
FOCAL TUNE IN THE 1991 BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE “BOYZ IN THE HOOD.”
• APPEARANCES ON “JOHNNY CARSON’S TONIGHT SHOW”, “SOUL TRAIN” AND.
• 3 NUMBER 1 HITS, 13 TOP TEN HITS, 38 TOP 40 HITS
• NUMEROUS GOLD RECORD AWARDS AND INTERNATIONAL TOURS.
• HIS SONGS ARE SAMPLED BY SOME OF HIP HOP’S BIGGEST ARTISTS INCLUDING.
OUTKAST WHO SAMPLED SIMON’S “BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER,” IN THEIR HIT.
“SO FRESH, SO CLEAN,” FROM THE MULTI PLATIUM ALBUM, “STANKONIA.”
ADDITION, LIL’ KIM SAMPLED HIS “IT BE’S THAT WAY SOMETIMES,” IN ‘’MAGIC STICK,”
FEATURING 50 CENT.
DURING THE MID 1980’S, JOE BECAME MORE AND MORE DISENFRANCHISED WITH THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AND THE LIFESTYLE THAT SURROUNDED MANY ASPECTS OF IT, HE BEGAN A SEARCH TO REDISCOVER WHO HE REALLY WAS AS A PERSON, HE BEGAN TO READ THE WORD OF GOD, AND SLOWLY HIS NEW CALLING IN LIFE TOOK FORM. THIS LED TO HIM BECOMING A CHURCH BISHOP.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER & LEADERSHIP:
• JANUARY 21, 1991, KEYNOTE SPEAKER AT THE MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. TRIBUTE
• ON FEBRUARY 25, 1999, RECEIVED THE RHYTHM AND BLUES FOUNDATION PIONEER AWARD, SAYS BISHOP JOE SIMON, “I THANK THE RHYTHM AND BLUES FOUNDATION WITH ALL MY HEART AND I THANK ALL OF THOSE WHO HELPED WITH AND IN MY RHYTHM AND BLUES LIFE, BUT I MUST CONTINUE WITH THE LORD’S WILL.”
• JULY 20, 2006, THE BISHOP JOE SIMON COMMUNITY OUTREACH MINISTRIES TRAVELS TO BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA
• AUGUST 2006, THE BISHOP JOE SIMON COMMUNITY OUTREACH MINISTRIES TRAVELS TO CALIFORNIA
• AUGUST 2006, BISHOP JOE SIMON TAPES TV-ONE’S THE GOSPEL OF MUSIC WITH JEFF MAJORS TV SHOW, AIRS IN OCTOBER
• JUNE 2006-MAY 2007, THE BISHOP JOE SIMON COMMUNITY OUTREACH MINISTRIES TRAVELS TO ALABAMA, MISSISSIPPI, FLORIDA, ETC. MINISTER JOE SIMON OUTREACH MINISTRIES
• JUNE 2, 2007, LOUISIANA GOVERNOR WELCOMES FORMER R&B LEGEND TO LOUISIANA. THE BISHOP JOE SIMON COMMUNITY OUTREACH MINISTRIES TRAVELS TO LOUISIANA
• NOVEMBER 11, 2007, BISHOP JOE SIMON LENDS SUPPORT TO TREATMENT CENTER IN FLORIDA. THE BISHOP JOE SIMON COMMUNITY OUTREACH MINISTRIES TRAVELS TO FLORIDA
• JULY 17-20, 2008, BISHOP JOE SIMON HEADLINES THE PORRETTA SOUL FESTIVAL IN PORRETTA TERME, ITALY
• AUGUST 7, 2008, BISHOP JOE SIMON HONORED FOR HIS RHYTHM AND BLUES CONTRIBUTIONS WITH THE JUS’ BLUES MUSIC LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD IN MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
• JUNE 17, 2016, BISHOP JOE SIMON IS HONORED AT CITIZENS BANK PARK IN PHILADELPHIA WITH THE PHILLIES GAMBLE AND HUFF COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP AWARD FOR HIS CLASSIC BEST-SELLING ALBUM, “DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE”
• JUNE 12, 2017 LOUISIANA GOVERNOR JOHN BEL EDWARDS SIGNED INTO LAW HOUSE BILL 100, WHICH BECAME ACT 132. THIS LAW STATES THAT LOUISIANA STATE HIGHWAY 1 WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF SIMMESPORT, LOUISIANA BE DESIGNATED AS JOE SIMON BOULEVARD. AS A YOUNG BOY JOE SIMON ONCED PICKED COTTON IN HIS HOME TOWN ON THE LAND THAT BECAME LOUISIANA HWY 1, WHICH IS NOW CALLED JOE SIMON BOULEVARD.
• AUGUST 23, 2017, JOE SIMON WAS INDUCTED INTO THE LOUISIANA MUSIC HALL OF FAME
• AUGUST 24, 2017, BISHOP JOE SIMON WAS HONORED WITH A STREET NAMED AFTER HIM, “JOE SIMON BOULEVARD” IN HIS HOMETOWN OF SIMMESPORT, LOUISIANA
• NOVEMBER 29, 2017, THE TOWN OF SIMMESPORT, LOUISIANA ADOPTS RESOLUTION NO: 11-2017-29 COLLABORATION WITH JOE SIMON OUTREACH MINISTRIES
• DECEMBER 14, 2018, JOE SIMON MOVES HIS CHICAGO SIMMESPORT INTERNATIONAL RECORDS, INC (CSI RECORDS) COMPANY TO SIMMESPORT, LOUISIANA
• NOVEMER 25, 2019, JOE SIMON RELEASES CSI RECORDS’ FIRST 60 SEC. TELEVISION COMMERCIAL SPOT VIDEO TITLED “JOE SIMON BOULEVARD (PUT THE SPOTLIGHT ON ME).(20+) Joe Simon | Facebook